Check out a couple photos of an Everett Council that we refinished.
EVERETT PIANO COMPANY
The Everett Piano Company was a manufacturer that became popular in the Midwest. Founded in 1883 by the John Church Company, a musical instrument dealer of Cincinnati, Everett first produced upright and grand pianos, later adding player pianos to their list of products. The firm remained quite small and after several decades it fell behind the rest of the industry in sales growth.
In 1926 Everett was acquired by the owners of the Cable-Nelson Company, who took the Everett Company name and moved production of Everett pianos while still also continuing Cable-Nelson pianos at South Haven, Michigan. During the following years, the production of uprights and players at South Haven declined rapidly as in the rest of the industry and Everett made the transition to production of spinets, consoles, and studio upright pianos by the middle 1930s. Production of a small number of Everett grand pianos continued. Piano manufacturing was interrupted when Everett produced wooden-glider parts during World War II.
After the war, the firm prospered as sales of Everett and Cable-Nelson pianos continued to grow. Everett studio uprights were especially popular for school use. To meet growing demands, the South Haven factory was enlarged and modernized by the installation of new types of efficient equipment.
In 1962, with its plans to enter the piano industry, the Hammond Organ Company acquired Everett.
When after eight years (1970) the new owners did not find piano manufacturing ‘as profitable as expected, Hammond sold Everett to the United Industrial Syndicate, a group of investors. Three years later Everett was sold again, this time to Yamaha International Corporation. Yamaha took further steps in modernization and began to manufacture Yamaha as well as Everett vertical pianos in South Haven. When Yamaha moved its U.S. piano production to its plant in Thomaston, Georgia, in 1986, pianos with the Everett name continued to be built in South Haven by Baldwin, using Yamaha designs. This arrangement between Baldwin and Yamaha ceased in 1989 and the Everett name was then permanently dropped.
Reference: Piano An Encyclopedia, Second Edition