The Pease Piano Company was originally established in 1844 by Chauncey D. Pease as The C.D. Pease & Company in Cooperstown, NY. In 1874, the firm was renamed Pease & Company and had relocated to New York City. In 1888, C.D. Pease retired and the firm was taken over by his sons Harry and Samuel Pease. In the early 20th Century, Pease built a line of pianos under the “Wilbur” brand name. During the Great Depression era, Pease was purchased by the large Winter Piano Company. Winter produced the Pease brand name until about 1950.